Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Happy Birthday to me!

Today is my 28th Birthday! Man, I feel old. Not in the sense of oh my life is almost over...its more in the sense of THIS is all my birthday amounts to these days? It used to be the MAIN event...now its just a simple night out to dinner with the family. Would I want it any other way? Nah...

Remember the years as a child when birthdays ranked right up there with Christmas?! It felt like life stopped and you were queen for a day! You had a party at school where your mom brought treats, a party at home with all your family, and then a party with your friends at skating rink or maybe even a slumber party. There was cake, ice cream, pizza, presents and smiles galore! It didn't seem like it could ever get better than that! Then middle school hit the years came along where you wanted to have a boy/girl party... I remember girls huddled in our bathroom curling our hair, and putting on our best pair of Pepe jeans and slow dances with BoyzIIMen. Man, we thought we were so mature. Then it was high school and we started expecting BIGGER gifts each year, a car, new clothes....expensive clothes. My favorite memory that comes to mind is my senior year (on my 18th birthday...ten years ago today) I got roses at school (yah, that was cool) and then that night I won the 2001 Winter Sports Homecoming Queen. This was a BIG deal to me. If you asked my husband that kind of crap was not very important...lots of girls win homecoming...but not in our town. We didn't have one of those schools where there were girls from each class...no, we had to wait till we were seniors to get nominated and you only had two chances...Fall or Winter Sports Queen. And I had just won one of those spots. Talk about a good birthday!

 Now it just seems like the day comes and passes with little to no excitement. I was just telling one of my girlfriends this morning Thank God for facebook, when I got to work and I already had over 30 messages waiting to wish me Happy B-day....it does make you feel loved! The day went on and turned out to be a pretty good birthday.  I received what seems like hundreds more birthday wishes, I had lunch out with some good girlfriends and then out to dinner to one of my favorite restaurants (Molly's Landing) where I received the BEST gift EVER. Grandma Kaye had worked with Bobby to make me a gift. I will treasure it for the rest of my life.



How CUTE is that!??! He still had the faint signs of ink on his hands and feet while we were in the bubble bath tonight. Adorable!!

1 comment: