Sunday, October 24, 2010

Two down...one to go...

When Bobby had his 6 month checkup the other day we were discussing Bobby's recent regression in sleeping. I knew this moment was coming and here it was...the doctor officially telling us its time to "let him cry it out". I have been dreading this moment. I (like most) can not bare the sound of my baby crying and so it to let it go unnoticed in the night would be fighting every instinct in my body telling me to rush to my baby when he needs me. But the doctor had a good argument...he said we were "rewarding him for waking up with attention when we rush to his crib side". ahhhh...I can see that. He said that after a baby has doubled their birth weight they don't nutritionally need to eat in the night...its just habit. He said if I had a four or five year old that wanted cookies and milk at 2 am every night I would never go for that...so I shouldn't feel any different now. Well how long is too long to let him cry, I asked. His exact words were...if crying were bad for a baby then yes, we would have to set a limit but crying does not hurt a baby in any way...its actually the best exercise that they get...its good for the heart and lungs...so there is no limit. He will fall back asleep when he wears himself out. Next question was....how long will it take to break him from waking up...I don't think I can handle this crying it out thing very long. He says, it should only take about 3 days. REALLY?! ok I can really try and do this. Three long nights...or getting up four to five times a night for the next 6 months? I try my best at 3 nights.

So Friday night was our first try....right of the bat I should NOT have chosen this night. Bobby's six month pictures were first thing Saturday morning and haven't a tired baby was not part of my plan. The first shift seemed to go fine. He woke up around 1am and he cried for about 25 minutes before giving up and going back to sleep. This is not so bad I told myself...I can do this. UNTIL 3:45 came around and Bobby did NOT give up till almost 6 am!! That's a little over two hours people! It was AWFUL! I was throwing pillows and getting so upset in my room begging him in my head to PLEASE give up and go to sleep...we had pictures in just a matter of hours and we ALL needed the rest! FINALLY finally he fell back asleep. I did it! I won!! I didn't give up! One night down...two to go.

Last night went A LOT smoother. It helps that we had a late night out over watching the OU game at the inlaws house...so when we got home around 11 half the night was gone. I know he woke up at least two times but honestly I can't remember how long each crying session lasted because I fell back to sleep myself. But I KNOW that they were nothing like the night before! Thank goodness. Sooo one more night and hopefully we are home free! I have to admit I almost MISS Bobby in the night cause I am not able to see him at our late night nursing sessions...BUT I know I need to do this because its what is best for him and I both.

He is just such a sweet sweet boy. Not giving him everything he wants is just such a difficult task for me! I love him sooo much. All this talk makes me miss him at the moment...I think I will go join him in his nap now...I need some snuggle time!

No comments:

Post a Comment