Monday, November 29, 2010

Thankgiving break

We had SUCH a wonderful holiday break! I don't even know where to begin! We almost stuck to schedule...but there were a few twists and turns along the way. After Robby's grandparents meal on Thursday afternoon we decided to just get our car packed up and head on down the road to KC a night early. I thought I had this brilliant idea that if we just gave bobby his bath and everything like normal and just put him in his carseat instead of his crib when it was bedtime he would sleep like an angel and never even know we traveled. Well, he slept wonderfully all the way there and I thought "hah! worked like a charm" UNTIL we got there and all of the commotion of arrival and unpacking and re-situating got Bobby all wound up and awake and I had a terrible time getting him back to sleep...followed by one of the worst up and down nights we have had in months. He just didn't understand why were were going back to sleep for several more hours...in his mind he had already slept all night when he woke up at Skye's house. So night one was a disaster! BUT it was worth it to be there on Friday morning. Once my sister Alison and my niece Abby got there we all loaded up and drove to Legends (an outdoor shopping area in KC) and we shopped ALL DAY LONG!! We hit every store imaginable and Bobby was an angel. We even had a little surprise visit while at lunch...I saw another little boy there with his family that had two hands just like Bobby's! I went up and introduced myself and showed them Bobby...they were more than happy to chat with me and we even exchanged contact information. I think it was God's hands working that put us in the same place at the same time. It was really neat!

 

Then Saturday was our actual family get together. Skye did the entire meal herself. We all just brought desserts. When I say Skye is a good hostess this is an understatement! She thinks of, prepares for, and has EVERY thing imaginable on hand in a seconds notice. Every inch of her house is spotless, every bed is draped in luxury linens, every soap dispenser is holiday decorated, every kid has a toy at their place setting, every snack, drink or food is all stocked in her frig. She just does it all. Its nothing for three of our family's to move into her house with her for days at a time. Thank goodness its a big house cause otherwise Bobby would have had everyone up in the middle of the night! hah!



Bobby was adorable in his turkey outfit as you might have guessed. I even had him try some mashed potatoes at dinner. Which he didn't really know what to think about. They were alot thicker than anything he has had thus far so he didn't swallow them right away and they kind of sat in his mouth for a while. It was funny. I had his jar of baby food Turkey and Gravy though so that was cute that he was participating in the holiday with that.


 After dinner we loaded up all the kids and took them to Crown Center to go ice skating!! Highlight of the trip for me! There were Christmas lights everywhere, there was Christmas music blasting, the biggest Christmas tree I have EVER seen...not to mention the actual ice skating rink! We all had SUCH a good time!!


My sister Alison snuggled Bobby up tight with blankets and stocking caps and let me go out on the ice with the kids (thanks Addy!) and I had the time of my life! I swear there was a time in my life (many moons ago) when I honestly thought I wanted to be a ice skater when I grew up...in real life...not so much. I did fine of course...and got the hang of it before long...but its AMAZING to me how those people jump and do twists on there!




 




   Then it was back to the house for hot chocolate and our second round of turkey dinner! We spent the night AGAIN cause it was just too late to make the trip home and Robby was over at his buddy Dane's watching the OU/OSU game (Boomer!) all the way across town. So Bobby and I crashed again and we took off for home yesterday morning. That is a LONG trip for the Reed family...cause those of you that know me know that I don't travel well. But I had the time of my life...and wouldn't have missed any of it for the world. BEST THANKSGIVING EVER!!

2 comments:

  1. awww bobby is so sweet in those pics! he is growing up way too fast!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. its time for some pics of the dogs ;)

    ReplyDelete