Friday, December 3, 2010

Happy Anniversary Hubby!

Today is Robby and I's 5th wedding anniversary. I can hardly believe it. In some ways it feels like its been way longer than that...we have been together since the beginning of 2002...so nine years total in February. But in that same breath I can remember my wedding day like yesterday.


I was a nervous wreck. I don't even know why. It wasn't about the marriage, I think it was more just all the build up to the whole thing. All the planning, all the money spent, all the pressure to be beautiful and perfect...on top of making the biggest commitment of your life (marriage is a big damn deal to me...I am child of divorce that is sincerely screwed up from it so I idea of giving up on our marriage doesn't exist in our household). Like I said Robby and I had already been together for so many years that its not like we rushed into anything...we were confident in our decision...its more of the build up of just saying the words I guess. Robby was a wreck too! He gets extremely nervous in crowds and/or being the center of attention (unless its in his territory like on the baseball field or something...but that's only cause he doesn't have to talk). So he didn't sleep a wink the night before our wedding...and had retreated over to his parents hotel room in the middle of the night because he was throwing up from his nerves. I think my dad called me at 8am that morning saying Robby got to his house at 5am hoping to find some nausea medicine. Thank goodness my dad was happy to help.



Anyway...most of the wedding went off without a hitch. The only thing forgotten was the sparklers for the exit from the church. Oh well. I can live with that. I remember we had to stop at a gas station (in my wedding dress) on the way from the church to the reception to get me a red bull...I was already exhausted and we had an extremely long night ahead. The reception was the best part...when we actually got to relax for a second and visit with all of our guests. I remember the buffet line was down the hall of the Country Club so Robby and I just made our way down food line saying hello to everyone. I will never forget how grateful I was so many people came all the way from Oklahoma to support us. It was December obviously...and FREEZING cold that night, a late evening wedding plus the two hour drive...not exactly just a relaxing Saturday night affair for them. I appreciate it more than those people will ever realize!



When we took off from the Club the party was still going...but we were off to our honeymoon in Jamaica. I'm from the smallest town in America so we had a two hour drive to the nearest airport and our flight left at 5am. So I think we originally took off from Chanute around midnight or one...half way to KC we realized I forgot my drivers license. So Robby's dad Robert being the patient man he is, turned around IN THE MIDDLE of the night and drove back to get it and then turned around again to drive us back to KC. It was a disaster! We were ALL exhausted...did I mention it was BITTERLY cold!? Every time we even had to open the door it was blistering! My hair still had thousands of bobby pins in it and to top it all of we still had a long day of traveling ahead of us! NO, I did not realize its a good idea to wait till the next day before shoving off for our honeymoon. NO, I did not realize our resort was still a 2 hour bus ride from the airport CRAMMED full of tourists with NO air conditioning (AND still being in my WARM outfit from the FREEZING temperatures at home). NO, I did not just throw all my stuff down immediately once we finally got to our hotel room to jump in the shower and take a nap!! Ohhh lessons learned.


Thank goodness that was the end of our drama though...and the rest of the trip was a blast! 7 days was a little too long for me (being the not good traveler that I am). But we were in paradise...so it was well worth it!




So here is to five wonderful years together! I can't wait for the next five...and the five after that and the five after that. You get my jest. You have made my life so much more than I ever hoped for. I could never live without you. You are my ultimate companion...where you are weak I am strong. When you need me I will be there. You are my best friend. I hope I can give to you the support and stability that you give to me. You are my life. I love you!

1 comment: