Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Heartbeat!!

I just got back from my first official "doctor" appt...it was WONDERFUL! Its not like there was a whole lot to come from this visit because we still have a long way till the fun stuff...BUT today WAS fun because we got to hear the heartbeat for the first time. I obviously didn't have any idea what to expect on how we would hear the heartbeat...so I half way expected a full out ultrasound where I might get to see the baby too. But no, it was just a little tiny roller on a cord hooked to a speaker. I swear she didn't even get it fully against my stomach before we started hearing the very clear "panting" is how I describe it. It sounds like Coco panting when she gets hot. But it was a wonderful consistent FAST heartbeat. She said "sounds very strong healthy heartbeat to me". I didn't full out cry...I admit a few tears escaped the corner of my eye...but it wasn't full out emotional, it was more SHOCK and excitement and trying to soak in what I was hearing. Robby sat right next to me with the HUGEST smile planted across his face. She said the rate was 173, which I immediately started asking if the old wise tale was true that if its over 140 its a girl and under 140 its a boy...but she threw that right out the door and said no, its a myth...all babies heartbeats are super fast in the beginning like this...and slow down as the pregnancy so we can't tell anything from this. WHEW! I didn't want to be jumping to conclusions about it. I honestly want to be completely suprised when we go in to find out what it is at 20 weeks...so this was a relief.

She also measured me and I am right at the mark I thought I was at...at about 10 weeks...well 11 weeks tomorrow. YAH! Overall it was a wonderful experience and I can't wait to go back! Only 4 more weeks!

3 comments:

  1. Oh YAY!! How exciting!! And look at you...only a few tears! I'm impressed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Tylee's heartbeat was always high. They kept telling me, "No! You can't tell by that!" But sure enough, it was a girl! I am so happy for you guys.

    ReplyDelete